Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday, Monday

I think I've finally figured out how to get a good night's sleep.  I could get used to this. Nothing like a good night's sleep to start the week.


The day started clear, crisp and bright.  I kept my eyes pealed for interesting shots and my eyes were drawn to this rather mundane sign:
The three triangles at the bottom are a reference to a vehicle testing service.  I figured out the racetrack symbol, and I'm guessing the half-empty vase is a reference to the Porcelain Museum, but I can't figure out the three lines.  Any guesses?

Then I caught sight of a date I hadn't noticed, even though I've passed it regularly.  Having visited a number of old houses over the past six weeks, I guess I've become accustomed to see some amazingly old dwellings:
As noted in earlier posts, many of these old buildings have been reincarnated in to different functions.  This is "Charlies Cafe and Bar"--a restaurant serving all day breakfasts, "Roast" of the day, among other features.  I've tried the restaurants on either side, but not this one.  I'll have to go in for their all day breakfast.  I love the big British breakfast.


The city centre didn't offer anything notable, so I trod on to campus. 

When I first came to Worcester, I felt more comfortable coming on campus from the Severn Gate, but lately, I've been coming in through the Malvern Gate.  I'm not sure if it's meant to be the "main" entrance, but I suspect it is.  There are wide gates, and the road leads directly to the Edward Elgar Building, which is the main  classroom building on campus, doubling as the administration building.  There's some significant construction going on, which is why it's a bit questionable.  The building just before EE, is the former Pearson Library.  This building is being transformed to be a study center and is surrounded by fencing and signs indicating apologies.  Additionally, there are three structures/sculptures:

So, I guess these are meant to be symbolic of something.  They're all made of brick, and I suspect they may have come from old buildings, but I'll have to do more digging.

The way home was similarly uneventful, but this caught my eye:
I saw this wee baby sock next to a spider's web.  Mums stroll their babies to and from the gate to a school I pass on the way to and from campus.  I feel sorry for the little bairn who had to go sockless.  It's not terrible, but those little tootsies would be chilled.

I had great plans for my journey home, which all came to naught, but I did take note of how much the river has gone down since last week's flood:



I had intended to visit a bakery to sample bread in anticipation of my friends' visit later this week, but I managed to get there just a few minutes after it closed.  Strike one.  Then, I was going to pick up some vegetables in anticipation of the soup I hope to make for my friends.  I couldn't find anything I needed.  Strike two. 

It's Monday, and of course, that means C R E A M   T E A!  VICTORY!
I was joined by a young friend.  The Cathedral Cafe proprietress Luciana told us we were enjoying the last strawberries of the season.  So...next week it will be scones sans strawberries.  But today, these little beauties were just perfect.





No comments:

Post a Comment