Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Counting my blessings: Reflections on turning 60


I am 60 years old today and I've been thinking about my blessings

I know it's selfish to say this, but I think I miss my mother most on my birthday.  Long before Billy Crystal memorialized the "birthday call" on City Slickers, my mom would call each of my sisters and me on our birthdays and start in with "Twenty-three years ago today, I was waiting for you to be born..."  In my case, I always heard about how late I was--I was supposed to be born at the end of June.  She'd remark on the things she and my dad would do to try and encourage my birth--most notably, the car drive over bumpy roads.  I was a big baby, as were my sisters, most of us were over eight pounds.  I was a blondeish-bald little girl, with "perfect hands and fingers"--at least according to my mom.

Aside from missing my parents and grandmother,  I am one lucky person. 

I have a great husband, four wonderful children, a great son-in-law and I like my unmarried children's partners. My children are all living wonderful, healthy and productive lives.

I genuinely enjoy spending time with my three sisters, my sister- and brothers-in-law, nieces and nephews.

I am blessed with wonderful, generous and loyal friends who support me and bolster me.

I live in a beautiful part of the world. Yesterday and today were absolutely glorious in this part of the world, and believe it or not, made up for the multiple polar vortexes we experienced this past winter.

I am very healthy--I require no medications and just got my first pair of prescription glasses within the last few weeks.

I live close enough to my work that I can walk every day.  In fact, I live walking distance from just about every business or office I need.

I have a comfortable old house and a good job with meaningful work.

I get to travel to fascinating places and to learn interesting things.

I am surrounded by so much luxury and privilege, I can't imagine a better life.

Clearly, it's time to give back.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment