Saturday, October 20, 2012

Getting the job done!

I had a sour end to my day yesterday.  My friend had recommended a sweet deal on a hotel for when I'm in London, but by the time I got around to booking it was no longer available.

My friend and I went online and she discovered another venue actually closer to where she and her family will be than the original deal.  I  phoned the Bed and Breakfast she'd identified to book the room.  It's a great deal (42 pounds) very close to where my friends will be staying.  We've booked a tour of the Harry Potter studios for the day after I return to England, and it would be fun for us to be able to set off for the studio together.  This new place doesn't accept credit cards, but I was invited to make a deposit for 50% of my bill in my host's bank account.  Alternatively, my host suggested I get a Postal Order in the mail asap with a self-addressed stamped envelope.  He said he'd hold my room for 48 hours.

I'd been out shopping during the day, so I was actually short of funds.  My friend loaned me the balance and I set off for the Post Office in WH Smith down the High Street.  I had to stand in a queue before I could take care of business, but when I came up to the window, I asked the clerk for three things:  1) Postal Order; 2) Stamps; and 3) a piece of paper.  I told the clerk I wanted the Postal Order in the amount of 42 pounds and I needed two first class stamps.  Unfortunately, there's a fee for Postal Orders.  The fee, the amount of the PO and the stamps were more than I had on my person.  I asked the clerk if he'd take a credit card, to which he responded "no", credit cards could not be used for P.O.s--that in spite of the fact that there was a plaque on the glass by his window indicating the acceptable credit cards for transactions.

"All's not lost," he said.  "Go over to Barclay's and see if they'll make a cash transaction with your credit card."

British Banks are not my favorite institution, and Barclay's did nothing to disabuse me of that attitude.  "No, we don't do business with that company" (Bank of America).

In the interest of fairness, I also had a debit card on me but I couldn't remember the PIN.

I didn't have a very restful night.  I knew I'd be able to get the P.O., but I worried about the missing PIN.  I'd brought quite a lot of cash here which has served me well, but is now running low.  I do not want to load up my credit card with excessive debt.

I woke much too early and found what I'd hoped was the PIN.  Once I got to the P.O and sealed up the envelope, the clerk told me that it "might" arrive on Monday OR Tuesday.  I asked if there was a way to guarantee a Monday arrival.  He said it would cost me about six pounds.

Growling, I handed over six more pounds and sent the P.O.on its way.

The moment of truth followed in short order.  I headed over to the ATM.  After trying the PIN I'd received in the mail (and having it rejected), I tried the other number and IT WORKED!!

I was so relieved I treated myself to a scone and coffee.

After all my complaints, dear reader, you've earned yourself another British TV advert.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment