Friday, October 19, 2012

To Market, To Market

My friend and I decided to spend the afternoon taking care of various errands.  Friday afternoon in Worcester is a treat.  This particular Friday, apparently, was special.  There were a number of performers in the street and lots of crafts booths set up on the High Street.

I warned my friend I hadn't yet had caffeine, so we started at .Costa--the UK's answer to Starbuck's.  I aim for one "primo Americano" per day, which Costa graciously sells.  Costa premiered a new ad while my friends from Duluth were here which features the old KISS song, "I was Made for Lovin' You."  The ad inclines me favorably toward the chain. I find it delightful.

While we were sipping our morning caffeine my friend noticed a couple of men on stilts outside the Cafe.

They juggled and promoted an eco-solar event at the Guild Hall.  They were also comedians.  When they dropped one of their pins, I bent to pick it up for them.  The schtick was that one of the guys would say, "I'll get it." and then lean down so as to collect it, only for the other guy to say, "No, I'll get it." and then lean down himself.  So, when I leaned down and handed the pin to one guy, the other dropped a pin.  I picked up a second pin, only to have the action repeated.  Twice was enough for me.

Both my friend and I needed to pick up a few items, so we continued on our way.  There's an alley between the Marks and Spencer (or, S & M) and the store adjacent which takes the walker to The Shambles, the street parallel to the High Street.  As we moved through the alley, we could hear a trumpet, drum and accordion playing a lively rendition of "Hit the Road Jack".
They were so lively and joyful, people couldn't help dancing.
This mum was dancing while pushing her baby in the pram.

We made a few successful purchases and then headed back to the High Street/Foregate en route to the train station to purchase tickets to London during Reading Week.  On our way back down the High Street we encountered a preacher who frequents the High Street on weekends.
His audience seemed more confrontational than compliant.  The preacher also sets up a poster nearby his preaching spot.
This verse was the subject of a funny story concerning my niece.  My sister did not raise her children with a church affiliation, but one summer she sent her daughter to Vacation Bible School.  When my sister collected my niece at the end of the day, my niece turned to my sister in confusion and said "Mom, why were all the counselors wearing t-shirts with that man John's face and the time?" (3:16--get it?)

Heading back to the Guild Hall, we saw another musical trio playing, among other things, the  Michael Buble single, "Sway/Dance With Me."
CrownGate is a shopping mall right off the High Street with a flower display at the entry. 

This was one of the more interesting flower displays on sale:
The blue items in the center of the photo are called "Sea Holly".
At the end of the row are the one pound deals.
The flowers on the right are silk.
When we passed the Guild Hall again, we saw a young girl singing the "Charlotte Church" repertoire.  As we approached, we heard her singing Andrew Lloyd Webber's Pie Jesu.
My friend noticed a group of young girls sitting on a bench watching the singer.  My friend surmised that the girls were the singer's friends.  If that is true, it couldn't have been sweeter.

The jugglers were still working just a few yards away.
Moving down the road we passed by the crafts booths.  My friend is a potter and was particularly drawn to a pottery booth. 
We spoke with the potter who told us he had a website.  As we asked him questions, he said he didn't own a computer.  His website, he said, was designed by a blind man.  My friend was curious about that, wondering how a blind man could work on such a visual medium.  Regardless, my friend was very impressed by the work.  This was my favorite piece.
These scarves were also very attractive.
It was fun to watch as this guy whittled these ladles.
The best, however, was the last thing we saw.   We headed down another mall and found a great live display of birds of prey.
Isn't he a beauty?  Check out these other lovelies.
These little guys were so sweet.  The only odd thing was that there was a plastic alligator on the floor of the display.

We took our purchases back to my friend's flat and then I headed back to my own flat by way of the canal.  As per usual, my feathered friends approached the edge in search of treats.
Alas, no joy.





No comments:

Post a Comment