Saturday, October 20, 2012

Return to Tudor House

A few weeks ago I went to the Tudor House, aka The Museum of Local Life.  On my previous visit I got there late in the afternoon, so I promised myself I'd return.  The Museum is open only two days a week from 10-5, so I wanted to be there right away when it opened.

The Museum is located on Friar's Street, one of the most "colorful" streets in Worcester. I had been on the High Street doing business, so I rounded on to the street by Eagle Vaults, a 17th Century pub.  I've found the pub to be striking because of the etched glass and tile facade.
I was the first visitor to the Museum this morning so I had a personal chat with one of the docents.  She was very enthusiastic and excited to share information about the museum and upcoming events.  Her father had been born in 1900 and had served in the Army of Occupation.  She is in charge of events and will be hosting an event on "Remembrance" Day (what we refer to as "Veteran's Day" in the U.S.) featuring her dad's autograph book from the war.

One of the points Judy the Docent made is that the house was "Tudor" built, but not a Tudor house per se.  The Museum contains information about how the house was used over the centuries, but it features a lot of "Tudor" facts, as well as a room devoted to "Worcester at War". 

The house had been used in many ways over time.  The room where the self-guided tour began, was the site of a bar.  The weavers who lived in the Tudor House brewed ale to earn more money and sold it from one of the front rooms which became "Cross Keys Tavern" from 1614-1907.

One of the "Tudor Did You Know" facts said:  "Lead cups were used to drink ale or whiskey.  The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days.  Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial.  They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up.  Hence the custom of holding a 'Wake'."

The house was co-habited by both the tavern and the Cadbury Coffee House.

As a Quaker, Mr. Cadbury was unhappy with the presence of the tavern so close to his cafe.  Downstairs from the Cadbury Cafe a man named Mr. Digger had offered to help with brewing ale for the Cross Keys.  Unfortunately, he fell in to the vat and drowned.  The tavern closed in 1907, solving Mr. Cadbury's dilemma.

The "Tudor--Did You Know" cards feature a Tudor-clad mouse offering fun facts.  This little guy in the photo below is just there for creep value.
I had done a pretty good review of the other side of the house on my last visit, so I spent a little more time learning about Worcester at War.
Like the Commandery, the Museum of Local Life also offers some great World War II cards, posters, dolls and other artifacts.
This is "Susie-The Shelter Doll".  She can be "knitted in bits...all in an evening in good time for Christmas if each knitter   in an air shelter takes a hand and knits one piece."
This little doll definitely deserves to be under glass.  The detail was exquisite.
1) The Soldier told his Sweetheart (all about the Troop Train).  2)  The Sweetheart told her father.  3) The father talked at his club where a Spy overheard.  4)The Spy instructed the Saboteur.  5) The Saboteur wrecked the Train.
There's a baby doll inside that gas mask.

This is a little terrifying.  There's a real baby in THIS gas mask.
 This gem wins the "Poster of the Day" award:

I liked the uniforms--particularly this naval uniform.
I still have my dad's World War II naval uniform--they're similar, but notably different.

There's a lot more to this museum, even after two blog posts.  I'll save the rest for later.




No comments:

Post a Comment