Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Addiction Confessions

I've developed some addictions since I've been here.

First, I'm addicted to Cream Teas. 
I pledge on this blog to restrict myself to only one Cream Tea per week.  I do want to point out that yesterday's Cream Tea had the lovely addition of a halved strawberry on each scone half.  The proprietress at the charming Cathedral Cafe also dusted the plate with powdered sugar.  It was delectable, but I'll desist until next Sunday.

Second, I'm addicted to British Murder Mysteries.  Evenings start with old episodes of Murder She Wrote (I recently saw an episode featuring our friend and colleague Tom Isbell), with episodes of Miss Marple and Poirot on some nights, and finishing up with Law & Order UK, or DCI Banks.  There are a number of  other programs, such as Midsomer Murders, Above Suspicion, Wire in the Blood, etc., etc.  The British do Murder Mysteries so very well.  One of my favorite aspects of these programs is that some of the actors appearing in these programs  are familiar from Masterpiece Theatre. 

Some of the performers from my favorite murder mysteries also show up on British TV adverts, such as Emilia Fox and Philip Glenister in a Gordon's Gin Ad.  The first link is to my favorite version.  However, my favorite ad is for butter.  The ad is titled, "The Butterman Cometh".  You've got to love the line, "He heard the call of the herd, and the herd heard him."  It gets me every time.

Finally, I'm addicted to taking pictures around town.  I love taking pictures of the river


and pictures of signs.  I found a sign yesterday that I love:
I started to write that I couldn't fit this in with yesterday's blog theme of spirituality, but now that I look at it, it does fit in a way.  Churchill as the budda is rather perfect.

Today's sign was a bit more obscure.  I have no idea what it means, but it caught my eye as I was walking home.
To quote one of the gin ads linked here, "What are you getting?  I'm getting a skull head with a Freud-like beard and a figure dressed in a tuxedo, a thought balloon featuring the image for radioactivity."

I have more addictions, but that's enough for now.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds lovely!! But I assume you are off-setting cream teas with a lot of walking, no??

    ReplyDelete