Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Nymph and The Hive

I got an early start this morning after being awakened by an anxiety dream.  My dream featured members of the Board of Directors of my synagogue complaining about unilateral measures I'd taken to solve problems and procure materials.  I woke up feeling a familiar sense of irritation and aggravation.  It was a great relief to realize that I have no such responsibilities.  Those days are in the past!  On the other hand, there was no going back to sleep for me.

It was a lovely, cool morning.  This is getting to be a fantastic pattern.  I remember as a little girl thinking I was powerful enough to affect weather.   I slowly came to realize that I just lived in Arizona and the weather was incredibly consistent. Since I've been here, I've been joking that this weather has been my gift to Worcester.  Regardless of the reason for this fine spate of good weather, we have been blessed.  There are so many lovely things to see along the Kleve Walk--barges and birds chief among them--but today I was drawn to the flowers.  It won't be too long before the flowers fade, so today seemed an opportune time to capture these beauties.
Just a few more steps along the path and I found this plaque.
When our students arrived the other day, one of them asked if there were signs such as these (ala "George Washington slept here") around Worcester.  The answer, obviously, is a resounding YES.  I've learned so much by reading plaques around town.  I've been particularly taken by the signs along Kleve Way.  

Today, I learned a bit more about the name of the River Severn.
The writing on this plaque reads "An ancient legend with roots in the twelfth century, tells of an illicit love affair.  The tale ends tragically with the drowning in the Severn of a young nymph, Sabrina (or Sabern),  The river is said to be named after her."  The River Severn is the longest in the United Kingdom, and the second longest in the British Isles after the River Shannon.  This river is a real gift.

The name of the Sabrina Bridge was selected by area schoolchildren.in honor of this great river and legend.
The school children also contributed two faces of  a plaque on the side of the bridge.
This was the first prize winner, produced by a girl from Oldbury School in 2009.
The second prize winner was also from the Oldbury School.  Clearly, the river has always been central to this community

As my dear old dad used to say, "Meanwhile back at the ranch..." The students had a tour of the Hive today, so Linda, Helen and I joined them.  The Hive is a phenomenon.

 It is the only example in the world of a library  jointly operated by a municipality and a University.   I found out today that the  historical society of the county has also contributed to the operation of the Hive. 

The historical archives and archeological collections are terrific resources.   One of my favorite features was the sound station under which patrons could listen to oral histories of the second world war.
But this display was also pretty cool.

It's impressive that they preserved the remains of this Roman wall discovered during the construction of the facility.

Our guide started our tour in the basement of the facility, explaining that the nature of the work at the hive starts with the kind of interactions which make the most noise.
The lowest level has videos, cds, video games, etc.
Patrons who check out videos have to remember to unlock the jewel cases before leaving the facility, otherwise they will not be able to open the boxes..

The equipment used to check out materials is very high tech, and eons beyond the old stamp, card and pocket system of my youth.
Patrons swipe their identification cards to check out items. 
The return process calls upon the patron to make sure that items have been recognized.  Our guide admonished the students to make sure they had receipts for check out and return.

Beyond standard library services, the Hive is also a venue for other civic activities, including bill paying.

I found this juke box display charming.

As patrons move up the levels of the library from the ground floor to the first floor, to the second floor and the third, the expectation for quiet working conditions increases.
The Hive just opened in July, and the Queen came to commemorate this new beginning.
It will be interesting to see how the town/gown relationship evolves once the students return to campus and start using the library in earnest.






1 comment: