Sunday, September 16, 2012

A quiet day

It was a lazy Sunday.  The cathedral bells sounded around 9 summoning the faithful and the sleepy.  It was overcast and a bit muggy, so it wasn't particularly conducive to the big walks I've been taking. Still, it was important to get out a bit to stretch the legs.  Also, tomorrow I have a ride to shul in Birmingham and I must meet my chauffeur at a local petrol station on the Bath Road.


I had to figure out where it was, which can be challenging given how few and far between the street signs are.
The Dental Surgery is called Bath Road, and the sign along the road reads Bath Road/Greenhill.  Street signs tend to be posted on buildings and, as in this case, on walls.  I do not believe I've seen any examples of the American style street signs at corners or overhead above the street.
 
It turns out the designated meeting site is less than a 10 minute walk from my flat.

Having discovered my point of rendezvous, I decided to walk a bit further to the city centre.  I was in search of the local cinema and again was just a bit confused.  I could see the outside wall of the theatre complex from the City Walls Road.

I attempted to walk around the block, but the block proved to be quite extensive.  It was a worthwhile jaunt suggesting new places to explore in the coming weeks.
This plaque reads "The medieval city was surrounded by the 13th century by stone walls and a ditch.  These defences both repelled attackers and controlled traders and other visitors to Worcester who had to pass through the gates at Sidbury and elsewhere.  In the later medieval period the defences fell into decay and needed extensive renewal during the Civil War (1641-1651).  Worcester was besieged twice (in 1646 for two months), and the last battle of the Civil War was partly fought on the streets around Sidbury.  The defences went out of use soon afterwards, and by 1700 they had been demolished in many areas.  Today the most extensive remains can be found along the City Walls Road and the riverside, and these are now protected as Ancient Monuments."

I caught sight of a few more City Wall plaques as I continued on with my walk.
This plaque was on a wall by an Alms House which seems to have been converted to flats.  I need to investigate this point.
Down the road a bit, I took a closer look at a structure I had passed previously, but not with careful scrutiny.
Originally, I thought this was just a tea shop, but it turns out that the Tudor House is actually a cultural center open on Wednesdays and Saturdays.  This looks like a promising place to visit.

I finally found the cinema down the road a piece.
The movies were not in the "picture" for me today, so I continued on and stopped by my favorite tea shop, the Cathedral Cafe.
This little spot makes the best cream teas.
The old cliche comes to mind--"a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips".

I demolished the scone in no time and moved down the road.
Sorry about the dimensions of this photo--I'm too short.  This plaque is on the Porcelain Factory wall on the way back to my flat.  I will make a point of finding the other gates before too long.

I did see this image on my way
It seemed fitting for Erev Rosh Hashannah, but I wonder if there's any Jewish significance.  There's a similar window across the canal from Helen and Kathryn's flat and they had heard it was not Jewish in origin.  I have to get the story.

It was really a lightweight day--I didn't even complete half the number of steps I've set as a minimum.  I will work on that for tomorrow--particularly in light of that delicious cream tea.









1 comment:

  1. I think the medival street pattern also provides a strong defense against newcomers and tourists who are attempting to explore the city! On the plus side, they also provide defense against clotted cream settling on your hips as you walk it off before it can take hold:)

    ReplyDelete