Monday, December 17, 2012

The beginning of the long farewell

My friends Linda and Paul left this morning for Minnesota.  It's been such a treat to have neighbors right down the hall.  We've shared so much over the past few months--most of it has been delightful, but we've gone through a few trials as well.  When I look back on this adventure, I will remember the good over the bad and a lot of that has to do with these two generous and kind people.

As I've noted, I haven't been lonely (much), but Linda and Paul helped keep me from getting lonely.  It's not that we did everything together, we didn't.  But we did share some experiences, as well as walks to and from work and the odd meal here and there.  They were also good listeners and they shared their stories with me as well.  I'm so grateful for their friendship, and I look forward to continuing our friendship when I return to Duluth.

I bid them farewell at the door to our building at 8 this morning, feeling a bit wistful and more than a little envious.  They will be with their sons in a few hours, and for that, I know they are glad and I am glad for them

Here are some photos of our time together.
We all went together to collect the students when they arrived at Heathrow in September.

Linda and her "barrel raft" team at the Summit in Wales.
Linda came with us to Blenheim Palace.
 
Paul and Linda in Cornwall.
Linda at Stokesay Castle.
Linda at Avebury
Linda sitting on the exercise chair in Avebury Manor.
Helen, Linda and Kathryn at Thanksgiving.
Paul at Oxford playing the role of a student.
Linda on the tower walk of St. Mary the Virgin at Oxford

No comments:

Post a Comment