Saturday, June 16, 2012

Installment #2--Seeking Train Travel Tips

Nina's helping me figure out the best strategy for the continental travel I want to do (seeing camps, etc.).  I'm keen on getting a rail pass so I can hop on and off as I make my way through Central Europe.

It's the first time in a long time that I would like to be older than I am.  The travel discounts seem to kick in after age 60.  The real frustration is that I'm only a few years off the mark.  I think I would be more comfortable jumping on a tour, but I'm not sure that's going to work in the months I'm free to travel (December/January).  I'm a bit of a nervous traveler (to which my children and sister would guffaw), so I'd do best with someone accompanying me.  On the other hand, it's about time I grew up and faced some of those fears.

I'm hoping someone will offer some good advice about the best strategies for seeing the camps I'm most interested to see (Buchenwald, Terezin, Auschwitz).  I'm also wondering if anyone has any recommendations about educator discounts, tour possibilities, etc.  My language skills are almost non-existent at this point.  I don't think my German will help much.  The last time I tried using it someone told me to "please stop--you're hurting my ears." :(

Looking forward to hearing some good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment